Getting Ready to Move? Here’s a Checklist!4 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVE:
- Set up a “move” file or folder
- Set up a “move” calendar
- Have a garage sale
- Collect financial, tax, and employment documentation needed for your loan
- Donate un-needed furniture to charity
- Contact insurance company to transfer policies (life, auto, homeowners)
- Contact doctors, dentists for copies of medical records
- Contact schools for copies of student records
- Review tax deductions on moving expenses
- Arrange cut-off date for utility companies (telephone, gas, electricity, water, garbage, cable/satellite)
- Call friends and relatives to let them know you are moving
- Request change of address kit from post office
- Check out voter registration information for the new area
- Transfer stocks, bonds, bank accounts and contents of safe deposit boxes
- Prepare a list of clothing that will not be packed with household goods
- Take time to check off previous listed items while you still have time!
- Label items you will need to access easily and place them in separate room or closet
- Clean out your refrigerator and let it air out at least 24 hours before moving
- Drain outdoor equipment: water hoses, propane tank from BBQ grill, gas and oil from lawn mowers
- Discard al aerosols, paint, oils, and other flammable or toxic chemicals
- Schedule with utility companies to have utilities turned on at your new home
- Remember, items packed last will be unloaded first
- Conduct a final review of the house, including attic, stairwells, closets, cupboards, storage, garage, and behind doors
- Have the house ready for delivery prior to the truck’s arrival
- Take a break, sit back, relax and ENJOY YOUR NEW HOME!
Take the stress out of moving by being organized!
Give us a call if there’s anything we can do.